Make your pregnancy announcement memorable
Just found out you’re expecting? Before you announce it to your partner, then your parents and the world, think about how you’re going to do it. Here are some fun, creative and (sometimes) downright outrageous ideas on announcing your pregnancy.
1. Send a messenger
Did your family first begin with a dog? Let Fido announce the news to your partner.
- • Print a slogan like ‘I’m going to be a big brother or sister’ on a dog hoodie and send your furry friend to welcome your partner when they arrive home. The look on their face will be priceless!
- • Take a leaf out of this person’s book and pop a pair of glasses on your pooch and snap a photo of them in front of a pregnancy self-help novel.
2. Use a theme
Die-hard Harry Potter fan? Plan to watch endless re-runs of Friends while your baby grows from the size of mango to a watermelon? Whatever it is, you can use your favourite pop culture franchise as a way to announce your incoming family member.
- • Get a pregnancy t-shirt made with Mickey gloves framing the words ‘coming soon’ printed above your stomach and take a selfie to post on Instagram.
- • If you want to step it up a notch, copy this couple and dress up in your best wizard’s robes for a fun Harry Potter-themed photo.
3. Set up a photo shoot
This is one of the most popular ways of announcing your growing baby bump to family and friends. You can make this as simple or as extravagant as you like.
- • Get your thirteen-week sonogram framed and place it against a blackboard with ‘I’m/We’re expecting’ written on it.
- • Print your due date on a onesie and place baby shoes, diapers, etc around it.
- • Set yourself up with tonnes of junk food or weird food people crave when pregnant and grab a copy of an iconic parenting self-help book like ‘What to Expect When You’re Expecting’.
Take a photo and share it on your socials to let your friends know your exciting news.
4. Get baking
You can have your cake and eat it too. Bake whatever kind of cake you like and ice it with your announcements. Our favourites include: ‘There’s a bun in my oven’ and ‘Eating for two’.
- • If you’re not a whiz in the kitchen then you can always order a cake from your favourite bakery.
- • Instead of icing words on your cake, get them printed on the plate and take a series of photos of a slice being eaten so the announcement is slowly revealed.
5. Say it with a mug
This is a cute way of letting people know they’ll soon have a new family role to play.
- • Print ‘Grandma’ and ‘Grandpa’ on mugs with your due date and send them to your parents
- • Let your partner know with a cheeky image and ‘It worked!’ printed on a mug and make them their favourite beverage. Wait to see how long it takes them to notice and try to get a photo of their face when they realise.
6. Go for the casual approach
If you’re not the kind of person who likes to create too big a fuss but you still want to make the announcement of your pregnancy memorable, here are some subtle ways to do it.
- • Invite your loved ones to a picnic in the park and rock up wearing a baseball cap with ‘baby on board’ written on it.
- • Send a card out to your wider network with a funny message on it – something like ‘I’m pregnant – don’t worry, it’s on purpose’.
7. Go all out
On the flip side, if you want to make this the most momentous occasion possible, organise a party with family and friends who will play a role in your new bub’s life disguised as a casual get-together.
- • Hide your pregnancy message inside balloons filled with glitter and arrange for each guest to receive one. Pass around champagne and have everyone pop theirs at the time – then drink a toast.
- • Create place settings at the table with words each person’s role like ‘grandma’, ‘grandpa’, ‘aunt’, ‘godmother’, ‘honourary aunt’, etc.
- • Organise a pass the parcel where each layer contains a baby item. Start subtle, with a lollipop in the first layer for example, and get progressively more obvious. In the final parcel, place a onesie with your due date printed on it. You can be as obscure or weird with your references as you like – the more you keep your family guessing, the better their reactions will be at the end!
If you’ve decided on one (or all!) of the above, you can start designing your own custom pregnancy announcement t-shirts, onesies, mugs and dog hoodies on our easy-to-use design platform. Or have a look in our PrintLocker art room for more ideas!